Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Awakening

The Awakening

So, my niece (16) was required to read this book for school. She was enjoying it, so I asked to read it after she was finished. I think it is an moderately-easy read and something I want to keep reading to learn more about. With that said. I am not finishing the book. It is a women's lib book. The main character is married with 2 children and the family is spending their summer on an island resort. She spends her time with an unmarried man while her husband goes to work on the ferry and her children spend their time with a nanny. So of course this will eventually lead to divorce, a broken family and all because of selfishness! This book is not making me a better person. The husband is not a bad guy. He is very nice and attentive, when the wife lets him. I do not appreciate Warren more because of this book. I don't appreciate my life better. Her life is great, she just is choosing to be selfish!
So my question is, why on earth does a 16 year old required to read this book for school? Maybe there is something else to come in the book? I read 57 of the 133 pages and yet, nothing to make me a better person. There is a selection of short stories by the same author in the book. One of the titles is 'A Shameful Affair'. Great choose of books for our impressionable teenagers! No security! (see post on pain killers)

No comments:

Post a Comment